This course for complete beginners of Chinese, is an introduction to the Chinese pronunciation and writing systems. Basic listening and speaking skills are emphasized along with the study of pinyin, the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese (普通话, Pŭtōnghuà, literally ‘common speech’) in mainland China. On completion of this 5-week intensive course (two 2-hour classes per week), students will be able to:
- Have a basic knowledge of Chinese language;
- Be able to use basic grammatical and sentence structures to introduce oneself and to engage in simple conversations;
- Have basic knowledge of Chinese names, some traditional custom and family structures.
- Start date: Monday, 28 June, 2021
- Duration: 5 weeks
- Day(s) and Time(s): Every Monday and Thursday from 6pm-8pm
- Price: £136/£91 (materials not included)
- Pinyin – the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese in mainland China;
- Vocabulary and expressions regarding speaking about one’s name, nationality, language skills and family;
- Expressions regarding stating one’s wishes;
- A brief introduction to Chinese writing system;
The course is tutorial based with a combination of joint class activities and group work. Supplementary material is prepared by the teacher. In order to fully benefit from the course and to achieve the learning outcomes, students are expected to spend 1-2 hours per week on revision and homework.
WU, Zhongwei. (2010) Contemporary Chinese for Beginners. Beijing: Sinolingua.