This course is designed for complete beginners with little or no knowledge of Chinese language. Basic listening and speaking skills are emphasized along with the study of pinyin, the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese (普通话, Pŭtōnghuà, literally ‘common speech’) in mainland China. By the end of 25 hours of intensive learning over one week, students will:
- Have a basic knowledge of Chinese language;
- Be able to use basic grammatical and sentence structures to introduce oneself and to engage in simple conversations;
- Have basic knowledge of Chinese names, some traditional custom and family structures.
- Start date: Monday, 2nd July
- Duration: 5 Days
- Day(s) and Times(s): Mon 2 – Fri 6 July 2018, 10am-4pm
- Price: £187.50 (including material)
- Pinyin – the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese in mainland China;
- Vocabulary and expressions regarding speaking about one’s name, nationality, language skills and family;
- Expressions regarding stating one’s wishes;
- A brief introduction to Chinese writing system;
The course is tutorial based with a combination of joint class activities and group work. Supplementary material is prepared by the teacher.
Wu Zhongwei. Contemporary Chinese for Beginners. Beijing: Sinolingua, 2010. This book will be provided to registered students at the start of the course. Please contact email@example.com if you already have a copy of this book.
To book Week 1 – Beginners 1 Class and pay online please use the University ePay system. Alternatively download this Summer 2018 Chinese Language Course Form then complete and return it to the Confucius Institute for Scotland with a cheque for the correct amount made out to the University of Edinburgh.
Book both weeks of Summer school Day Time class Beginners 1 and 2 for a discount price of £325 including learning materials.