The British Council is now offering graduates the opportunity to work for ten months in universities and schools across China. But be quick – the application deadline is fast approaching! (21 February 2016)
Working as a language assistant is the perfect opportunity to spend time learning Mandarin, whilst developing invaluable transferable skills. Plus, you’ll get paid.
With teaching time limited to between 12 and 20 hours a week, being a Language Assistant gives you plenty of time to explore China and develop your language skills. Previous participants have made the most of this free time – by setting up their own business or even appearing on Chinese TV!
During your placement in China, you’ll get:
- support from the British Council, with over 35 years’ experience working in China
- on-going support from their partners overseas
- a two-week induction course when you arrive, including language and culture lessons, to help you settle in and meet other language assistants
- a free online TEFL course with practical tips to help you succeed in the classroom placement.
Salary and benefits
As a language assistant in China you can expect to be paid a comfortable salary every month. Your accommodation will be provided, flights are paid for and there is no programme fee to pay.
To be eligible you will need to:
- be a native speaker of English
- have graduated from university by the time you start your placement in August
To find out more and apply visit the website: www.britishcouncil.org/language-assistants/become/china.
You can also download this flyer of summary information Become a Language Assistant in China