- We offer a diverse programme of evening classes for the general public to enjoy learning Chinese. Our Winter 2020 courses will start week beginning 27 January and booking for these classes is now open.
All classes take place on the Confucius Institute for Scotland Campus sitting in the shadow of Arthur’s Seat. You can download ... Read more
- Course Summary
HSK 3 Revision and Practice is to support those learners who are preparing for the HSK 3 test. Learners will have a total of 15 direct contact hours over the period of six weeks. This course is composed of three parts – mock tests, revision and practice. In this course, learners will have the ... Read more
- Registration is now open for the March HSK and HSKK Exam Diet. The registration deadline for the offline HSK exams and HSKK exams is on Wednesday 19 February.
For more information on the HSK and HSKK and to register please visit our main HSK page here.
- Date: Wednesday 22 January
Venue: Project Room (1.06), 50 George Square, University of Edinburgh
“Has PRC Counter-Terrorism in Xinjiang Evolved into State Terror?”
In this talk, I provide an overview of China’s programme of ‘de-extremification’ and extra-judicial mass internment of Turkic Muslims in Xinjiang since early 2017. I then situate this development against the ‘ideological turn’ in Chinese Communist ... Read more
- The five week course runs from Wednesday morning 4 March to 1 April 2020 will be led by Chi Zhang, the Institute’s experienced calligraphy teacher. This course will start by introducing common techniques related to the Chinese soft brushes and ink. Students will also learn the basic strokes of Regular Style. Regular Style (Kai Shu) ... Read more
- Discover the fascinating art of Chinese brush painting and try your hand at this expressive art form. This course is suitable for beginners or people who have painting experience but have never tried Chinese brush painting techniques before. No prior knowledge is necessary, you should simply be keen to learn and willing to hold a ... Read more
- Meticulous ‘Gong bi’ style painting, an ancient art from 2000 years ago. It requires fine brushes to work with realistic contour techniques and vivid color to depict the most descriptive details. Our artist in residence Mr Chi Zhang will lead you into this style, it will be a calm, relax and meditative process, a great ... Read more
- Chinese Visual Festival is returning to Scotland this January to celebrate Chinese New Year with a programme featuring the popular documentary Four Springs and three films noirs including the new release: The Wild Goose Lake by Diao Yinan, screened in partnership with MUBI.
Wrath of Silence 暴裂无声 (Glasgow)
Saturday 25th January, 18:00
Screening followed by drinks reception
Four ... Read more
- The award-winning Giant Lanterns returns to Edinburgh Zoo, but with a whole new theme for 2019. Running across 47-nights, this extravaganza is based around a Lost Worlds theme, where hundreds of prehistoric creatures will be brought to life to present a visually stunning display of the history of wildlife.
Discover 570 million years of wildlife, from ... Read more
- The Confucius Institute for Scotland in the University of Edinburgh will be closed from Wednesday 18 December and reopen on Monday 6 January 2020. We send best wishes for the festive season to all our students and friends and we look forward to seeing you in 2020.
Classes will start again week beginning 27 January 2020