- We offer a diverse programme of evening classes for the general public to enjoy learning Chinese. Our Autumn 2018 courses will start week beginning 24 September, and booking for these classes is now open.
All classes take place on the Confucius Institute for Scotland Campus sitting in the shadow of Arthur’s Seat. You can download a map ... Read more
Discover the ancient art of calligraphy using the traditional Chinese brush and ink combination that has been in use for thousands of years.
The four week course runs on 13, 20, 27 November and 4 December and will be led by Chi Zhang, the Institute’s experienced calligraphy teacher. Students will be introduced to the materials of ... Read more
- Below is information on the next Thursday morning four week Brush Painting class running from Thursday 15 November 10.00-12.30 at Abden House, Confucius Institute for Scotland. This course will run on 15, 22, 29 November and 6 December. On this four week course the focus will be on the painting of Winter landscape.
The unique China landscape ... Read more
- Registration is now open for the December HSK and HSKK Exam Diet. The registration deadline for the offline HSK exams and HSKK exams is Thursday 1 November. The HSK online exam has a later deadline of Thursday 15 Nov 2018.
For more information on the HSK and HSKK and to register please visit our main HSK page here.
- After the sold-out success of 2017, Donghua Edinburgh Centre for Creative Industries is set to return Edinburgh Fringe this year. Join us in the stunning Playfair Library on either Friday 24th or Saturday 25th August for this combined exhibition and fashion show. Discover elegant, enduring and electrifying Qipao fashion, Shanghai Style, through the ages and ... Read more
- One of China’s renowned novelists, Yan Lianke, winner of the two of China’s most prestigious literary honours, the Lu Xun and the Lao She prizes, will make appearance in Edinburgh this August.
Shortlisted for the Man Booker International Prize three times, winner of the International Franz Kafka Prize, Beijing-based writer Yan Lianke makes Edinburgh his first UK ... Read more
- This course is designed for complete beginners with little or no knowledge of Chinese language. Basic listening and speaking skills are emphasized along with the study of pinyin, the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese (普通话, Pŭtōnghuà, literally ‘common speech’) in mainland China. By the end of 25 hours of intensive learning over one week, ... Read more
- An introductory course for learners who have no prior knowledge of the Chinese language. It is designed for those who want a short focused introduction to Chinese language learning. Running for 12.5 hours over 5 weeks, this course takes learners through basic expressions needed in typical conversational situations. Pronunciation and communicative practice will be the ... Read more
- This course for complete beginners of Chinese, is an introduction to the Chinese pronunciation and writing systems. Basic listening and speaking skills are emphasized along with the study of pinyin, the official Romanisation system for Standard Chinese (普通话, Pŭtōnghuà, literally ‘common speech’) in mainland China. On completion of this 5-week intensive course (two 2-hour classes ... Read more
- Students are invited to enrol for 5 study clinics. These are not formal classes. Attendees will be grouped based on abilities. Each group will be led by a senior teacher. As well as revision of previous learning via conversational practice, the clinics will allow for discussion on any areas of difficulty identified by the group ... Read more