- Asian Studies, part of the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures in the University of Edinburgh, seeks to appoint two Language Assistants in Chinese. Check details HERE.
- ‘The unique China landscape painting developed more than a thousand years ago, and brought to perfection by generations of master painters.’ Landscape, Shan Shui, literally translated as ‘mountain and water’, is one of the most popular subjects in Chinese brush painting.
This 4 week course will start with introducing the history of Chinese landscape painting then ... Read more
- Bamboo has significant culture importance in China and other East Asian countries, represents good character of real gentleman and nobles. The traditional of bamboo and orchid painting had been around for many centuries and some techniques had been used for over 1000 years.
This one day workshop will start with introducing the history of Chinese bamboo ... Read more
- When wind and snow fill the sky and the fire has grown cold, relight the coals, warm the wine and turn up the wick of the lamp. We enter these tales in the shadows of night, but hopefully emerge into daylight.
Strange Tales is presented by theatre company Grid Iron in co-production with the Traverse Theatre ... Read more
- We offer a diverse programme of evening classes for the general public to enjoy learning Chinese. Our Winter 2020 courses will start week beginning 27 January and booking for these classes is now open.
All classes take place on the Confucius Institute for Scotland Campus sitting in the shadow of Arthur’s Seat. You can download ... Read more
- Registration is now open for the November HSK and HSKK Exam Diet. The registration deadline for the offline HSK exams and HSKK exams is Thursday 31 October. The HSK online exam has a later deadline of Thursday 14 November 2019.
For more information on the HSK and HSKK and to register please visit our main HSK page here.
- Professor Jing Lyu | Fudan University, Shanghai
Lecture 1: Retrieving the Glory of Lacquerware in Ancient China
28 Oct 2019 16:30-17:30 | Seminar Room A, Fire Station, Edinburgh College of Art
Lecture 2: Between Innovation and Tradition: Xiaojiaochang New Year Prints in Shanghai
29 Oct 2019 11:10-13:00 | Seminar Room C, Fire Station, Edinburgh College of Art
Jing Lyu (吕静) ... Read more
- Fan Jian is a documentarian who focuses on Chinese social issues through character-driven storytelling. He has directed six feature-length documentary films, most recently Still Tomorrow, winner of a Special Jury Award at IDFA 2016. His films The Next Life (2011) follows a working-class couple lost their only child in the 2008 Sichuan Earthquake. When the ... Read more
- Date and Time: Wednesday, 16 Oct, 4 – 6 pm
Location: 50 George Square, Project Room (1.06), University of Edinburgh
Celebrated as ‘China’s Tom of Finland’, Xiyadie is probably one of the best-known queer artists living in China today. His identity as a gay man from rural China and his method of using the Chinese folk art of papercutting ... Read more
- Location: The Playfair Library Hall, Old College, University of Edinburgh, EH8 9YL
Date and Time: 16 Oct, 2019. 1800-2000
Each year the University hosts a series of inaugural lectures given by Professors or Chairs newly appointed by the University. The speakers give an illuminating overview of their contribution to their field.
In both the East and the West the diaries ... Read more