A diverse panel of expertise has been assembled for the Expert Panel Event taking place on Wednesday 5 November at the University of Aberdeen which will be chaired by the Right Honourable John Prescott.
CHAIR: Right Honourable John Prescott
- Deputy Prime Minister from May 1997-June 2007, John Prescott chaired the China Task Force from 2003 – 2007 working to forge increased co-operation between the UK and China in the fields of education,
- international development, health, trade and investment, science, culture and sustainable development.
Peter Budd, Arup Scotland
- A civil engineer to profession, Peter is chair of Arup Scotland and vice-chair of the China-Britain Business Council. With the significant contracts his company has in China, he is a frequent visitor to China where Arup’s contracts include work on Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3; the Bird’s Nest Stadium; and the Water Cube.
- He is Vice Chair of the China Britain Business Council and Executive Chair of the business advisory group, China Now in Scotland.
David Valentine, Angus Council
- As Head of Economic Development, David Valentine has led Angus Council`s `Angus in China Initiative` for over 12 years. With a tourism and international trade focus particularly in Yantai, Shandong Province where he became an honorary citizen in 2006, he has an extensive network of contacts and knowledge.
- David is the only non-Chinese member of the Scottish Confederation of Chinese Associations.
James Brown, Patent Attorney, Murgitroyd
Murgitroyd is a firm of Scottish based (HQ in Glasgow) European Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys with offices not only in the UK but also in France, Germany, Ireland and Italy. The company has become very active in China particularly over the last 5 years or so due to client demand. Protection of IP rights in China is a major focus for Murgitroyd clients where the firm assist not only in IP filings but also in enforcement.
- James’s particular area of expertise is on oil and gas technology such as downhole tools and processes. He has experience of Trade Mark prosecution, opposition and enforcement, especially relating to the entertainment industry and handles IP issues in China.
Donald Smith, Albyn Limited
- Albyn Limited is a specialist haircare company, which began trading with China 10 years ago when Donald Smith, Managing Director set up a Chinese supply base. The company has extensive experience of purchasing in China. Donald has over 23 years experience in all aspects of consumer goods development, manufacture and selling and serves on the North East Committee of the Scottish Council for Development and Industry.
- Employing seven people, and with a turnover of around £3M per annum of which 25% is export trade, Albyn customers include Bayer Healthcare, GlaxoSmithkline, Boots, Rive Gauche(Russia) and Douglas(Germany). Brands include Toni and Guy, Trevor Sorbie and Lee Stafford.
Andrew K.P.Leung, SBS, FRSA, International Consultants Ltd
- Chairman of Andrew Leung International, Andrew is a China specialist with 40 years of experience in many senior government positions in Hong Kong, including commerce, industry, banking, finance and overseas diplomatic representation. His last position was Hong Kong’s chief official representative for the United Kingdom and 14 EU and non-EU countries, including Russia, Switzerland and Norway. Chairman of Andrew Leung International Consultants Limited based in London, Andrew has recently been appointed Vice Chairman of the 48 Group Club. Andrew appears regularly on live TV interviews on China with CNBC Europe, BBC Asia, Bloomerberg etc and has given numerous talks, presentations and commentaries on China.