This is the start of a more independent stage of learning when more complex grammar will be introduced. This three term course is progressive with students moving from Chinese 3.1 to Chinese 3.2 and then to Chinese 3.3. Each section of the course lasts for 10 weeks and bookings can be made on a term by term basis.
Chinese 3.1 requires prior taught learning up to 2.3 or equivalent – Enrol
Chinese 3.2 requires prior taught learning up to 3.1 or equivalent – Enrol
Chinese 3.3 requires prior taught learning up to 3.2 or equivalent – Enrol
Any student with prior learning who is unsure which level would best suit their ability should arrange to drop into the Institute for an assessment by one of our language teachers.
Chinese 3 Content
- Talking about one’s problems and difficulties, offering help, giving advice
- Expressing attitude such as preference, intentions and plans, praise and encouragement, blame and complaint
- Expressing judgement and evaluation such as causes, effect and purposes
- Expressing emotion such as indifference, surprise, worry, reassurance and sympathy
- Talking about time and space in narrative way
- Describing objects in detail
- Describing past events, telling stories
- Talking about causes, reasons and results
- Talking about differences between people, giving details
- Talking about differences between places, giving details
- Writing letters, talking about life in another country, expressing personal opinion
- Describing objects using set phrases
- Talking about job hunting
- Comparing differences in the relationship between children and parents in the West and in China
- Learning about Chinese festivals
By the end of the course students should be able to:
- Communicate using an enlarged vocabulary and more sentence patterns in areas of most immediate relevance, such as discussing one’s personal problems and feelings.
- Communicate more freely in particular social activities, such as giving suggestions and consolation.
- Tell stories, or describe past events in narrative ways, with details about time, space and logic.
- Understand frequently used sentences and expressions related at immediate level on common topics, such as describing people, places, events, etc.
- Express opinions more clearly in social activities and discussions, such as telling past events, explaining reasons and personal opinions, etc.
- Understand the grammar of prepositions, adverbs, conjunctions and words indicating time.
- Understand frequently used sentences to introduce or change a topic; to connect ideas and improve coherence.
- Express opinions more clearly in social activities and discussions, such as job hunting and celebration of festivals, etc.
The course is tutorial based with a combination of joint class activities and group work. Supplementary material is prepared by the teacher. In order to fully benefit from the course and to achieve the learning outcomes, students should plan to spend at least 1-2 hours per class on revision and homework.
Textbook: Wu Zhongwei. Contemporary Chinese. Vol.3. Beijing: Sinolingua, 2003.
The textbook and workbook purchased for Chinese 3 covers all three terms of Chinese 3. The cost is £23. The materials can be purchased at the Confucius Institute for Scotland in the first class of the term.