The Third Annual CPD Conference on Chinese Teaching in Scotland: Teaching and Learning is a free one-day event for all who are involved or interested in the teaching of Chinese. Taking place on Friday 2 June 2017 at 50 George Square, University of Edinburgh, this event is jointly organised by the Confucius Institute for Scotland and Asian Studies of the University of Edinburgh.
This conference combines plenary sessions and a number of parallel workshops. You can download or view the Conference Programme here.
Yuu can book your place for this free day long event which is inclusive of catering via this booking link.
Some highlights of the day are listed below.
- (plenary) Mandarin on the curriculum – challenges and opportunities
- (plenary) Same or different? The role of comparison in Chinese language teaching
- (plenary) Beyond language: teaching Chinese culture
- Understanding Standards – SQA Advanced Higher
- Effective methods to help students learn Chinese characters
- Designing Chinese language courses: some practical strategies
- A crash class on Chinese folk dance
- Sustainable Teaching of Chinese in Secondary Schools
- Breathing life and creativity into Chinese learning
- (interactive plenary) Learners’ perspective – views from the students
The plenary sessions and workshops will be led by experienced teachers and senior staff from a number of Scottish and English schools, Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS, University of London) and University of Edinburgh.
In the interactive session, student representatives from a few Scottish schools, SOAS and University of Edinburgh will share with the audience their experience and achievements in learning Chinese and offer insights from the learners’ perspective.
The conference will run from 9:30am to 4.30pm on Friday 2 June 2017, with registration starting at 8:45am and networking opportunities from 4:30pm. Booking is now open. Please click here to book your place.
Please also feel free to pass the information on to anyone who may be interested in this event. In the meantime, if you have any query, please contact Dr Zhu Zhu, Chinese Language Programme Director, Asian Studies, University of Edinburgh, at email@example.com or the Confucius Institute for Scotland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to seeing you at the event!